- Turn on the saucepan to a medium heat. Add 2 cups of sugar into the pan, then add ½ cup of fish sauce. Stir through to melt the sugar. This is a dish about balance so taste as you go. Careful as the caramel gets very hot. Melt it down and cook until it intensifies. Taste when it cools down a bit and add more fish sauce to taste.
- Next add 3 star anise, 1 stick of cinnamon, 1 bird’s eye chilli cut in half length ways, 1 shallot sliced thinly. Mix altogether and cook until sauce thickens out, sugar is completely melted and it develops a deeper colour. This will take about 10-15 mins on a medium heat.
- Let cool then strain off the fish sauce caramel to remove all of the aromatics. Add the juice of 1 lime and set aside.
- Heat a fry pan with olive oil. While the pan is heating chop 1 large bunch of broccolini in half. Place into the pan and fry quickly. At the end add sugar snap peas that have been cut into thirds to warm them through.
- Take the pan off the heat and coat with 2 or 3 tbsp of the Fish Sauce Caramel. Mix this through so it is shiny and coated with the sauce. Add more as needed.
- Plate into a large bowl and add a light drizzle on top for garnish. Chop 1 long chilli diagonally and a sprinkle of fried shallots for garnish. Enjoy!