- Trim off any excess fat and sinew from the beef and remove the bone if your shank cuts have any. Cut the meat into bite-sized pieces.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the rest of the marinade with the beef shank and marinate for about 30 mins.
- In a large pot or casserole dish, heat up the oil and cook the lemongrass halves for 1 min before removing and setting aside.
- Cook the beef in batches until browned on all sides, then remove and set aside.
- Cook the onions until softened and then return the beef and lemongrass back in to the pot.
- Add the pepper, paprika, star anise and the tomato paste into the pot and mix together with the rest of the ingredients before adding in the coconut water and beef stock.
- Bring the stew to a boil before reducing to a simmer and braising for 90 mins.
- After 90 mins has passed, add in the carrots and continue to cook for another 30 mins.
- Remove the star anise and lemongrass from the pot and serve!