- Rub the chicken with salt and smashed ginger to remove the strong smell, then clean the chicken inside out with water.
- To cook the chicken, bring water to a boil and add chicken. And add 1 tsp salt and half a peeled onion for about 15 – 20 mins until it’s cooked through.
- Cut the onion into thin slices and soak into cold water. Cut the cabbage in quarters, then cut off the core at the 45 degree angle to create a base, to keep the cabbage piece stable when we shred it into strips.
- When the chicken is cooked through, take it out and let it cool completely before shredding the chicken into pieces.
- To make the salad dressing, in a bowl, mix together 2 tbsp sugar with 3 tbsp fish sauce. Also squeeze in 1-2 tbsp lime juice. Give it a good stir and then add minced garlic and chili.
- To assemble the salad, combine 1 cup shredded chicken with 3 tbsp dressings, some cracked pepper and lime leaves. Mix well and add 1 cup of shredded carrots, 1 cup of sliced onion and 2 cups of shredded cabbage. Add more dressing. Give it a good toss.
- Add 1 cup of the chopped Vietnamese mint at the last step. Transfer it to a serving plate, top with some fried shallots, cracked pepper and some chillies.