- To make the chilli oil, place the dried chilli flakes in a heatproof bowl. Heat oil gently in a saucepan. Take off heat for about 30 secs and then pour over chilli flakes. Leave to cool.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in frying pan and sauté onion and shiitake mushrooms until onion turns translucent. Add spinach and cook to remove any excess liquid. Remove from heat and mix with the mashed tofu, vegan mince, cornflour, soy sauce, Shaoxing wine, grated ginger, sesame oil, and salt and pepper to combine.
- Place filling in the middle of pastry, slightly wet one half the pastry with a little bit of water, then fold pastry in half to enclose the filling and then crimp the pastry according to your style.
- Heat 2 tbsp of cooking oil in a non-stick frying pan. Add about 15 dumplings to the frying pan at a time. Cook on medium-low heat for 1-2 mins until base of the dumplings are golden brown.
- Add ½ cup hot water, cover with lid and cook until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove lid and cook until the bases crisp up.
- Serve with the dipping sauce, julienned ginger and chilli oil.
- Note: To boil the dumplings, place dumplings in boiling water until they float to the surface. Add a cup of cold water and bring to boil. Remove dumplings from water and serve.