To Make Hailam Kopitiam Bread
- Add all dry ingredients into a stand mixer bowl.
- Pour in water into a bowl and start mixer with a dough hook attached.
- Knead till all ingredients combined at low speed for 3 mins.
- Toss in butter and continue to knead till well combined. Stop the mixer to push the dough in every few mins to ensure the dough is thoroughly kneaded on medium speed (to avoid the mixer’s motor from overheating) for at least 20 mins.
- To see if the dough is ready, do the windowpane test. Pinch a small amount of dough and hold it between both your thumbs and first two fingers, and gently stretch the dough apart. If the dough is properly kneaded, it should stretch (without tearing or breaking) into a thin membrane that you can see through.
- Grease a large bowl with some oil and transfer ready dough in for first proofing covered till doubled in size. This step takes about 50 to 80 mins depending on the room temperature.
- Test proofed dough by poking a finger into the dough. It should bounce back just a little.
- Punch down dough and remove from bowl. Shape into a ball.
- Dust your work surface with some flour before rolling it out into a rectangular.
- Fold both sides to meet in the middle before rolling flat again.
- Roll up Swiss roll style and pinch the seam to seal.
- Start second proofing in greased bread pan covered with a damp cloth for 1 hour or till the dough rises to the top of the pan.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180°C for 40-45 mins or till top turned golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool bread in pan for 10 mins before removing the pan and let it cool on a cooling rack.