To Make the Broth
- Place the chicken, pork in to a large pot and fill it with enough water to fully cover all of the meat. Cover the pot with a lid and bring it to a boil over a high heat.
- When the water has reached a boil, drain the water and wash the bones to remove any impurities.
- Clean the pot and return the cleaned bones back in to it along with the rest of the ingredients for the broth. Add enough water to cover the ingredients and cover with a lid.
- Over high heat, bring pot to a boil and then reduce the heat so that the broth is simmering. Allow to simmer while covered for 6-12 hrs.
- Towards the end of the simmering time, take the pork fat and place it on to a sieve. Lower the sieve in to the broth and allow the pork fat to cook. Allow for about 30 mins of time to cook the fat before draining and finely mincing.
To Make the Marinated Eggs
- Combine water, sake, soy, mirin, and sugar in a medium bowl and whisk until the sugar is dissolved.
- Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Pierce fat end of each egg with a thumbtack to make a tiny hole (this is to prevent the eggs from cracking and eliminates air bubbles from forming at the end). Carefully lower the eggs into the water with a wire mesh spider, or slotted spoon. Reduce heat to maintain a bare simmer. Cook for exactly 6 mins. Drain hot water and carefully peel eggs under cold running water (the whites will be quite delicate).
- Transfer eggs to a bowl that just barely fits them all. Pour marinade on top of the eggs until they are covered, or just floating. Place a double-layer of paper towels on top and press down until completely saturated in liquid to help in keeping the eggs submerged and marinating it evenly. Refrigerate and marinate for at least four hrs and up to 12. Discard marinade after 12 hrs. Store eggs in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat in ramen soup to serve.
Assembling Your Ramen
- Heat up the broth by bring it to a boil. When the broth has reached a boil, add the seasoning. begin with a small amount of seasoning and add more till you get your desired flavour.
- Pour a small spoonful of the broth in to a bowl and then arrange the noodles in a bowl along with sliced chashu, marinated egg, some minced pork fat, and your desired toppings and garnish. Serve immediately!