- Cook rice a day before and leave to refrigerate overnight.
- In a large bowl, mix pork, garlic, coriander, salt, black pepper and fish sauce until well combined. Slowly stir in beaten egg and mix the meat mixture again until thoroughly combined. Roll pork mixture into balls.
- Prepare a pot of boiling water and cook pork balls batch by batch. Cook for another 2 mins once the pork balls float to the surface to ensure they are cooked through.
- In a large pot, bring chicken broth to a boil. Put in galangal and lemongrass and allow to simmer for 15 mins. Carefully ladle in cooked rice and simmer for 5 mins. Season with soy sauce, fish sauce and white pepper. Add more according to your liking.
- Remove and discard galangal and lemongrass. Ladle rice soup into 4 serving bowls until half full. Crack in an egg into each bowl. Then ladle more hot rice soup into each bowl. If you like the eggs to be cooked before cracking them in, place eggs into a small pot of water and bring to a boil. Turn off the heat and allow to sit for 15 mins before cracking them into the rice soup.
- Garnish with ginger, spring onions and coriander leaves. Serve hot with some soy sauce if desired.