- In a pot, bring water to boil and gently lower fish into the pot. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to a gentle simmer for 10 mins.
- While fish is poaching, use a mortar and pestle, crush ginger and garlic to a rough paste.
- Heat a 2L capacity pot. Add the laksa paste, and then the ginger-garlic paste. Saute paste for 1 min until aromatic, then add 3 kaffir lime leaves, and 2 stalks of Vietnamese mint and fry for another minute.
- By now, the fish should be cooked. Remove from pot and set aside. Add the fish stock (from poaching the fish) into the pot with the paste. Bring this to a boil and let it simmer bring it to boil for 5 mins.
- Season with fish sauce and sugar.
- Using 2 forks, gently break up the fish to smaller chunks.
- To serve
- Prepare the vermicelli according to cooking instructions on packaging. Drain and distribute between 2-3 bowls.
- Ladle the laksa soup onto the noodles.
- Garnish with fish, eggs, pineapple, lettuce, cucumber, chillies and top with finely sliced herbs.
- Lastly, drizzle 2-3 tbsp coconut cream per bowl and serve.