- In a blender or a food processor, combine the dried chillies, fresh chillies, shallots, garlic, lemongrass, toasted belacan, turmeric and galangal. Blend until the mixture is fine.
- Add some cooking oil into a wok on medium heat. When the wok is hot, add the spice mixture. Stir-fry the mixture until the oil starts to form its own layer and the mixture releases an aroma.
- In a separate bowl, mix the tamarind paste with the water. Strain the mixture. Add the strained mixture to the wok and bring the whole mixture to a simmer.
- Add the assam and laksa leaves. Combine well. Add salt and sugar to taste.
- Add the stingray to the curry. When the stingray is close to being fully cooked, add the okra, onion and tomato wedges. Leave to simmer until the stingray is fully cooked.
- Serve while hot with rice.