- In a bowl, combine the sliced fish and the marinade ingredients together and mix well before setting aside to marinate for approximately 15 minutes.
- While the fish marinates, soak the dried chillies in boiling water until soft before draining out the water and setting aside.
- In a separate bowl, pour out enough cornstarch to cover the all of the fish slices and then transfer them in to the bowl. Lightly mix the fish to coat them in the flour until they are well coated.
- In a wok or pan, heat enough oil to shallow fry the fish slices. When the oil gets hot, begin to fry the fish in batches until they are golden brown in colour. Transfer the cooked slices on to a drying rack or plate with paper towels to absorb the excess oil.
- Reserve 2 tbsp of the used oil and discard the rest. Heat the oil back up and fry the broad bean paste for about a minute before adding in the fermented black beans, garlic, ginger and the chillies.
- Fry the mixture until the garlic and ginger become aromatic and then add in the spring onions and garlic sprouts and continuing to cook until the garlic sprouts have become soft.
- Return the fish back in to the mixture and toss to coat well in the sauce.
- Remove from the heat and transfer to a plate to serve!