- Combine Sichuan pepper, white pepper, salt and Shaoxing wine in a mixing bowl. Add in duck breasts and coat with spice mixture. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and allow to marinate in fridge for at least 4 hrs.
- Remove duck from marinade and rinse duck under cold water. Pat dry with paper towel and allow to air dry for 1 hr.
- Line a smoker or wok with aluminium foil. Place rice, tea, brown sugar and star anise on top of foil. Place a rack or steam basket over foil and cover with a lid or foil. Turn heat to high and allow to smoke.
- Once starting to smoke, reduce heat to medium and place duck on top of rack or steam basket. Smoke duck from 15 mins or until cooked to desired doneness.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Remove duck from smoker and place skin side down onto pan. Cook until skin becomes crispy.
- Rest duck on a plate skin side up for 5 mins. Thinly slice.
- For sauce, add hoisin sauce, lime juice, ginger and garlic in saucepan. Heat on low stirring together. Slowly add oil while whisking to combine.
- To plate, add sauce to a plate or bowl. Arrange sliced duck, spring onions, fried ginger and chilli. Serve.