- Heat up a pan and lightly roast peppercorns until aromatic. Transfer to a grinder and ground into powder. Mix Chinese 5-spice powder and salt together with grounded peppercorns.
- Rub the ducks with the marinade, thoroughly massaging into the skin. Place a wire/cooling rack on parchment paper and put the ducks on top of the rack. Loosely cover the ducks with parchment paper and leave inside the refrigerator to marinade and dry out for 48 hrs.
- Remove the ducks from refrigerator and rub Shaoxing wine all over. Scatter ginger and spring onions onto a steaming plate and rest the ducks on top. Steam over boiling water for 1½ hrs, checking water levels occasionally and refill as needed.
- Transfer the ducks on a cooling rack placed over a parchment paper and let them air dry for 3 hrs.
- Combine starch solution ingredients in a bowl. Rub the starch solution all over the duck and allow to dry for 10 mins. In a wok or deep-fryer, heat up oil enough to almost cover the ducks. Carefully put the ducks in and fry until evenly browned both sides. Remove and place on kitchen towels to drain off excess oil. Serve hot.