- Heat oil on high for 2 mins and add in Sichuan peppercorns, bay leaves, star anise and cinnamon stick. Then turn the heat down to medium-low.
- Making sure the bubbling around the spices is constant by controlling the heat by turning it up and down. Keep frying the spices for 30 mins and making sure they don’t get burnt.
- Meanwhile, prepare the crushed chilli flakes in a heat proof bowl. Place a metal mesh strainer on top of the bowl.
- After 30 mins, the spices should be darker in color but not black which means it is burnt this would reduce the quality of the oil. Turn the heat off and let the oil cool for 5 mins.
- Once the oil is cooled, slowly pour over the crushed chilli flakes with the mesh capturing all the spices. Stir and add salt to taste.
- Once the chilli oil is completely cooled down, store in jar for use at any time.