To Make Filling
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a wok over a high heat. Add the shiitake mushrooms in a single layer and fry for 2-3 mins until golden. Turn and fry other side. Repeat with other batches.
- Remove from the heat and add soy sauce to each batch while it is still hot.
- Toss to coat mushrooms. Allow to cool and drain excess fluid.
- In a small bowl, mix Kewpie Mayonnaise with sriracha sauce and set aside.
- Lay out chilli mayo mix, mushrooms, asparagus, sliced carrot, Thai basil, chives and spinach in a row ready to make your rolls.
- Have the short edge of the nori closest to you, the long edge away from you.
- Spread a small amount of chilli mayo across the nori sheet 1cm in from the near edge.
- On top of the mayo strip, lay a small amount of each vegetable and herb evenly across the width of the nori.
- Pick up the edge of the nori closest to you and roll up the vegetables and herbs as tightly as you can in the nori, leaving both ends open.
- Take a spring roll skin, placing a corner in front of you and a corner away from you.
- Place the nori roll on top of the spring roll skin close to your nearest corner. Roll the spring roll skin around the nori, stretching it slightly as you go and folding in the side edges like an envelope to enclose the nori roll.
- Repeat until your vegetables have been used. (A damp tea towel will stop your spring roll skins from drying out.)
- Heat the oil in a large pan. The width of the pan must be greater than the length of the rolls.
- Shallow fry the rolls over moderate heat.
- Drain on absorbent paper and cut diagonally.
- Serve immediately with two sauces: Kewpie Dressing Sesame Soy Sauce and Kewpie Dressing Roasted Sesame or sweet chilli sauce and Kewpie Dressing Sesame Soy Sauce.