- In a large bowl, cover and rinse rice with cool water. Swirl rice around, drain water and then repeat until the water is clear.
- In a medium saucepan, place equal parts rice and water over high heat. Leave uncovered and bring to boil. Once boiling, turn heat down and cover for 15 mins.
- Remove from heat, but leave covered for another 10 mins.
- Combine rice vinegar, sugar and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Transfer rice into the big glass bowl. Using a wooden spoon or rice paddle, gently fold in the vinegar mix so that every grain of rice is covered. Be careful not to get the rice too wet.
- Allow rice to cool before assembling sushi.
- On a sushi mat, take a piece of nori and place it shiny side down, about 2 cm away from the edge nearest to you.
- Wet your hands and gently spread about ¾ cup of rice over seaweed, being careful to leave about 2.5 cm borders around all sides.
- Line two pieces of finely sliced salmon end-to-end on the rice.
- Holding the filling in place, carefully roll the mat over itself, away from you, making sure the nori folds over and seals itself.
- Continue with the rest of the nori sheets and filling. Cut rolls into 2.5cm thick pieces and serve with soy sauce, beni shoga (pickled ginger) and wasabi.