- In a saucepan, soak shiitake mushrooms in 1 cup water for min. 30 mins.
- Remove the mushrooms from the water, reserving the mushroom water in the saucepan.
- Slice the shiitake mushrooms, then place back in the reserved water. Add mirin, sake and Japanese soy sauce into the saucepan and combine.
- Place soaked rice in a rice cooker. Pour the dashi and mushroom stock with the mushrooms over the rice and stir.
- Cook the rice according to the manufacturer’s instructions of your rice cooker.
- Once cooked, fluff the rice with a fork or spoon.
- Garnish with spring onion and serve.