- Blend the paste ingredients in a blender or food processor until all the ingredients have been combined properly and has a paste-like consistency.
- Heat the pan over medium-high heat and add the ½ tsp of oil. Once the pan is hot, place the chicken in the pan with the skin on the pan. Cook on 3-4 mins for each side before setting it aside.
- At medium-high heat, fry the onion until it has softened and set aside.
- At low-medium heat, add the paste and cook for 10 mins. If it looks dry, add some water because you don’t want it to burn.
- Add the cinnamon, star anise, whole cloves, cardamoms and green lemongrass parts. Add water as needed and cook for 10 mins.
- Change the heat to medium-high heat and add tomato sauce. Stir to mix well and add the chicken and onion. Add the water and bring to a boil. Once the liquid starts boiling, stir in the sugar and salt. Turn the heat to low and let it simmer, covering it for 20 mins. (You can let it simmer for longer if you want softer chicken meat).
- Remove the lid and turn the heat up to medium-low and simmer for another 20 mins, until the sauce has reduced and thickened to the desired consistency. Stir often. Add seasoning to your taste. Serve with rice.