To Poach the Mackerel
- Add water and tamarind juice into a large pan, and stir to combine.
- Line the pan with the mackerel. Sprinkle with the salt.
- Bring the water to a boil and then let the fish simmer for 5 mins.
- Remove the fish from the water and let cool. Strain the remaining fish stock and set aside.
To Make the Laksam Gravy
- When the fish has cooled, debone the fish and then place the flesh in a food processor along with the ginger, garlic and shallots and blend into a thick paste.
- In a large saucepan, pour in the coconut milk along with the remaining tamarind puree and water.
- Add in the fish paste and mix well before bringing the mixture to a boil.
- Add in the ground black pepper and finish by adding the salt and sugar to taste. Remove from the heat and set aside.
To Make the Rice Rolls
- Prepare a steamer. Lightly grease a metal plate or baking tin.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the rice flour, plain flour and salt. Pour in the warm water and mix until well combined.
- Ladle enough of the noodle mixture to form a thin layer in the metal plate and steam for 2-3 mins or until cooked.
- Remove from the steamer and allow to cool for 30 secs before carefully removing from the noodle sheet from the plate/pan.
- Roll the noodle sheet into a tight roll and set aside. Repeat with the remaining batter.
To Make the Sambal
- In a food processor, blend the chillies and belacan together before transferring to a mixing bowl and adding the sugar and lime juice.
- Slice the noodle rolls into bite-sized pieces and place onto a plate. Pour over the gravy and top with the fresh vegetables and sambal. Serve with lime.