- Soak rice in water for at least 1 hr. Place dashima, white radish and 5 cups of water into a small pot. Bring to a boil and then, turn the flame down to low heat and simmer the broth for 20 mins.
- Meanwhile, prepare the onion, carrot, pumpkin and mushroom. To save time, cut them into smaller chunks and blitz using a food processor until diced.
- In a pot or wok, add sesame oil and heat over medium fire. Drain the rice and put into the pot. Give a quick stir. Pour in a ladle of broth and cook while stirring until the broth evaporates. Repeat another 3 times. The rice grains will gradually expand.
- Pour in 2 cups of broth and put in all the diced vegetables. Bring to a boil. Then put on a lid and turn the flame down to low and simmer for 10 mins while stirring occasionally. Keep a lookout and add in water if necessary. Season with salt according to taste.
- Transfer to individual serving bowls and serve with sesame oil and sauce soy if preferred. Top with nori strips and sprinkle some white sesame seeds.