- Combine flour, salt and water in a stand mixer bowl using your hands and knead for a few mins to form a semi-smooth dough. Cover in cling wrap and rest for 15 mins.
- Mix all the dumpling filling ingredients in a bowl until well combined and set aside.
- Knead the dough using the stand mixer on medium speed for 7 mins.
- Roll the dough into a sausage shape about 2.5 cm in diameter and cut into 16 equal portions.
- On a floured bench, press the dough flat and use a rolling pin to make large round wrappers.
- Make the dumplings by holding a wrapper in hand and adding about 2½ tbsp of the filling into the middle before firmly crimping the wrappers closed. Use a little water to assist the seal if needed. Continue until all dumplings have been made and set aside.
- Make the dashi stock by boiling 1.5L of water with the kombu and dried anchovies.
- Place the anchovies in an enclosed strainer to keep the dashi clean.
- Boil for 10 mins, remove the kombu, boil for 10 more mins.
- Then, remove the anchovies with strainer.
- Add the soy sauce, garlic and dumplings to the dashi.
- Cover and boil about 8 mins until the dumplings are fully cooked. Lightly pan fry the egg whites and yolks separately into thin sheets with a drizzle of sesame oil.
- Slice finely and set aside.
- Drizzle the beaten egg into the soup in thin ribbons, add the sesame oil and spring onions and cook for about 1 min.
- Divide and serve in bowls garnished with finely sliced nori, sliced spring onions, thinly sliced fried egg white, yolks and sesame seeds. Add ground black pepper to taste.
- Serve and enjoy!