To Make Kangaroo Rendang
- Place all the spice paste ingredients into a small food processor and blitz until fine.
- Heat up a frying pan with some oil and brown the kangaroo steak cubes on all sides in a few batches. Remove and set aside.
- In a deep heavy-based pot, heat ¼ cup of cooking oil on medium heat until slightly smoking. Add in the spice paste and fry for around 10 mins until the paste begins to dry and turn darker in colour.
- Toss in the lemongrass stalk, cinnamon stick and star anise. Stir and cook for 1 min. Then add in the kaffir lime leaves and continue to cook for 2-3 mins.
- Next, add in the kangaroo steak cubes and stir to mix well. Cook for 5 mins before adding clove powder and cardamom powder. Continue to cook for 1 min.
- Pour in the coconut milk, stir to combine, and allow to boil. Once boiling, lower the fire and cove, leaving it to simmer for 30 mins, stirring every 10 mins.
- After 30 mins, remove the cover and continue simmering for another 20 mins until the gravy begins to dry up. Continue stirring every 10 mins.
- Next add in sugar, salt and tamarind puree.
- Lastly, add in the toasted desiccated coconut and let it cook a further 20 mins or until the gravy has thickened but continue to stir every few minutes to avoid burning at the base.
- Serves with hot cooked rice.