- Peel and cut kabocha into 3cm cubes. Place the kabocha in a steamer for about 15-20 mins, or until soft. Set aside to cool.
- While the kabocha is cooking, prepare the dough for the rice dumplings. In a bowl, mix together ½ cup of sweet rice flour and 3 tbsp hot water. Gradually add more water, 1 tsp at a time until the dough reaches a smooth and tender consistency. Divide dough into 12 equal pieces, then use your palm to roll each of them into small balls. Cover with a kitchen towel to prevent dough from drying. Set aside.
- Once your steamed kabocha has cooled, place in a blender with water, ¼ cup sweet rice flour, brown sugar and salt and blend until smooth. Then transfer to a large pot, and cook over medium heat for 5 mins, stirring frequently. Sugar or salt may be added to your preferred taste.
- Meanwhile, in a separate pot, bring half a pot of water to boil. Cook rice dumplings until they float to the top. Drain and remove rice dumplings from pot.
- To serve, pour porridge into a bowl. Add 3 cooked rice dumplings to each bowl and garnish with cooked pomegranate seeds, black sesame seeds and spring onions.