For Soup Base
- Soak the kombu sheet in water overnight or for as long as possible before starting to cook to make the dashi.
- In a medium saucepan, add the soaked kombu and water and slowly bring to a boil.
- Remove the kombu when the dashi has almost begun to boil, reduce the dashi to a simmer and then add the bonito flakes.
- Continue to cook for another 10 mins before straining out the bonito flakes.
- Return the dashi to the saucepan and add the remainder of the base ingredients. Return the dashi to a simmer before removing it from the heat.
For The Toppings
- In boiling water, cook the soba noodles according to the package instructions.
- When the noodles have cooked, drain them and rinse them under cold water.
- After this, re-hydrate the dried wakame seaweed, slice the green onions and then slice the fish cakes.
- Place a serving of the soba noodles in to a bowl before pouring over the hot soup and then topping with the fish cakes, seaweed, green onions and Japanese seven spice.