- Fill a clay pot or large pot two-thirds full with water. Add kombu in the water and let it soak for at least 30 mins.
- Meanwhile, combine all ingredients for the dipping sauce in a small bowl and set aside.
- Clean and cut vegetables.
- Arrange all the ingredients on a serving plate. Set a portable gas burner and place ingredient plate on a table. Give each guest a bowl of rice, an empty bowl for cooked food, and a sauce dish for the shabu shabu dipping sauce.
- Bring the broth with the soaked kombu to a boil. Add stem part of napa cabbage and shungiku, leek, carrots, some mushrooms, and tofu. You want to start with the ingredients that take the longest to cook.
- Now bring the pot of boiling broth to the table. Each person cooks their beef by dipping a slice of beef in the boiling broth with chopsticks. Swish it gently back and forth until the meat changes colour, about 10 secs will do.
- Enjoy the meat by dipping in the sauce.
- Add remaining ingredients as necessary in the boiling broth and simmer for a few minutes.
- End the meal with udon noodle. When most or all of the ingredients are taken out from the broth, add udon noodles in the pot and cook for a few minutes. Flavour udon with just bit of salt and white pepper.