- Fill saucepan with water and kochujang. Bring this to a boil. Put in the fish cakes and onions and simmer for about 5 mins.
- Add the rice cakes, cabbage, garlic, chilli powder, soy sauce, sugar and rice syrup and cook until the rice cake are soft, this should take about 5 mins.
- Drizzle in some olive oil before serving.
- Tteokbokki can be served with boiled eggs, cooked instant ramen or fried mandu (Korean dumplings).
- Add in some tomato sauce for colour if using small amount of kochujang for less spicy taste.