- Begin by preparing the pork broth. In a pot, bring water to a boil. Add in soup pork meat, onion, salt and sugar. Bring to a boil again. Remove any scum floating on the water’s surface. Once it is boiling again, bring the heat down to a low and simmer the broth for at least 2 hrs.
- Meanwhile, place the pork bellies into a bowl and mix in all other marinade ingredients. Combine well until meat is evenly coated. Set aside in the refrigerator until the pork broth is ready.
- Heat up some oil in a large frying pan. Lightly shake the pork bellies to remove garlic pieces. Put them into the pan, reserve the marinade. Sear the pork belly pieces until browned. Set aside. Pour in reserved marinade and add 2 ladles of pork broth. Allow to boil and bring the pork bellies back into the pan. Simmer on low heat for 1½ hrs, turning the meat constantly.
- Transfer pork bellies to a cutting board then, pour in 500ml of pork broth into the pan with the marinade. Bring to a boil and season accordingly. Slice the pork bellies into smaller strips.
- Cook noodles according to packet instructions without any salt. Drain and set aside. Using the same water, blanch bean sprouts if desired.
- Portion out the noodles into individual serving bowls. Top with bean sprouts, lettuce, spring onions and fresh herbs. Arrange a few slices of the barbecue pork belly on top of the noodles and ladle in a scoop of Xa Xiu broth.
- Serve with sambal oelek, a squeeze of fresh lime juice and crackers.