For the Chicken
- Wash chicken, drain well, stuff ginger and scallion into the chicken’s cavity. Rub 2 tsp salt all over the chicken.
- In a large stockpot that can fit a whole chicken, add water enough to cover the whole chicken together with pandan leaves, carrot and salt.
- Submerge the whole chicken, breast side down. Bring to full boil and then lower the heat to gentle simmer immediately for 35-45 mins depending on the size of the chicken.
- Remove chicken and plunge it into prepared cold water at once for 10 mins. Retain chicken stock.
- Drain the chicken, discard ginger and scallion from the cavity and set it aside to cool before chopping it neatly into desired serving size.
For the Rice
- Heat oil in wok, fry chopped shallots and garlic till fragrant and golden in colour. Add rice and stir well. Transfer the rice mixture to rice cooker.
- Add in chicken broth stock, pandan leaves, ginger, garlic and shallot oil, and salt into rice mixture. Mix well and press”cook”. When rice is cook. Fluff rice with a ladle.
- Line a serving plate with cucumber slices.
- Arrange chicken pieces on top, pour in the prepared sauce ore garnishing with coriander.
- Serve with chicken rice, side soup** and chicken rice chili sauce.
- Your Hainanese chicken rice is ready!