- In a microwavable bowl, combine the rice flour, tapioca starch, water, vegetable oil and salt. Stir well to dissolve. Set aside for 30 mins to reduce the strong flour smell.
- Before putting it into the microwave, stir up the batter again. Microwave for 2 mins. Take out and stir well, then microwave for 1 min. Repeat.
- Transfer the paste into an 18x18cm (7×7 inch) square mold greased with some vegetable oil. Flatten the surface with a spoon or spatula. Steam the paste for 30-40 mins until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. Leave to cool and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove the cake from the mold, cut into rectangular cubes in the size of a domino—about 5x2x1cm (2x1x0.5 inch). Divide into 2 portions for each serving.
- Mix each rice flour cake portion with 1 tsp dark soy sauce and set aside.
- To make the dipping sauce, combine soy sauce, sugar and vinegar together and stir well to dissolve. Add some chopped chilli if desired.
- Heat 1 tbsp vegetable oil in a frying pan over medium high heat. Add the rice flour cake cubes and pan-fry both sides 7-8 mins each or until crispy and golden brown.
- Crack 2 eggs into the pan and break the yolks to bind the rice flour cubes together. Top up with 2-3 tbsp chopped spring onion and cook for 1-2 mins until the egg is slightly set. Flip rice cakes over and cook other side for 1 min.
- 9. Transfer to a serving plate and top up with the pickles. Drizzle some sauce over the plate, mix well and serve.