To Make the Shiitake Mushroom Broth
- Soak the shiitake mushrooms in 1 cup of boiling water, until softened. Drain (retaining liquid) and roughly chop.
- Place the vegetable stock, shiitake mushrooms & liquid, spring onions, garlic, sesame oil, soy & chilli garlic sauce & Shaoxing wine in a saucepan and simmer for 30 mins.
- Strain, return the broth to the pan & keep warm.
To Prep the Flower Blossom Dumplings
- Soak the shiitake mushrooms until softened, drain & finely chop.
- Drain & finely crumble the tofu into a bowl, add the shiitake mushrooms, chives, garlic, sesame oil, soy sauce & Shaoxing wine, mix well and season with white pepper to taste.
- Cut the wonton wrappers into circles (a few at a time), cover with damp cloth.
- For the large flower dumplings, lay 7 wonton wrappers in a row, overlapping slightly (dampen the area, that overlaps with a little water)
- Spread a thin layer of filling through the centre of the wrappers, flatten slightly, brush a little water, on the top half of the wonton wrappers then fold the row of wrappers in half to enclose the filling.
- Starting at one end, gently roll to form a flower shape, separate & fold the top wonton edges to form petals. Repeat 4 times.
- For the small flower dumplings, repeat the above using 5 wonton wrappers for each flower.
To Cook the Flower Blossom Dumplings
- Heat a little sesame oil in a non-stick saute pan and fry the base of the dumplings until crisp & golden.
- Gently pour 1 to 2 cups of broth around the dumplings, cover and steam for 5 to 8 mins (or until cooked through).
- Place a large and small flower dumpling in a shallow bowl and gently add the broth, garnish with black sesame seeds, whole chives and a few drops of sesame oil.