- Cut the kai lan stems into sections.
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot. Add the baking soda. Parboil the kai lan stems for approximately 5 mins.
- Drain and rinse the kai lan. Leave to the side.
- Tear the kai lan leaves into fine strips.
- In a deep pan or wok, heat up enough deep-frying oil. The kai lan is ready when it is crispy. Leave it to the side.
- In a new pan or wok, heat it up with a little bit of cooking oil.
- Stir-fry the garlic and ginger until the aromas are released.
- Mix the light soya sauce, oyster sauce, cooking wine, corn flour and 1 cup of water.
- Add the stems to the garlic and ginger with the sauce mixture. Remove from heat when there is only a little bit of moisture left.
- To serve, plate the stems and then the deep-fried kai lan on top. Serve while hot with a small dish of the XO sauce.