- Combine vinegar, sugar and fish sauce in a small pan and warm (stirring) until sugar is dissolved. Cool slightly then add carrot and place in fridge to cool.
- Place remaining salad ingredients in a bowl. Remove carrot from juices and add to bowl. Toss to combine (you can sprinkle over another spoon of the pickling juices if needed).
- Simmer 4 tbsp of the coconut water and sugar in a small frying pan until sugar is dissolved. Increase the heat and let it bubble until it turns a nice toffee color, making sure you do not stir the contents. Remove from heat and add the other 1 tbsp of coconut water. Stir quickly to combine.
- Stir in the lime juice, fish sauce and chilli. Place back on medium heat and add the salmon on its skin side down first. Cook for 3 mins each side (or until just cooked). Sprinkle with fried shallots.
- Serve it with either steamed jasmine rice for dinner or banh mi style in a roll for lunch.
- Tip: Salad can be made while the salmon is cooking.