- Grilled Slice Pork
- Slice the pork shoulder into slices about 5cm lengths, 4cm width, and about ½cm thickness. Place into a zip-lock bag with the rest of the ingredients to marinate for at least 2 hrs in room temperature or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Grilled Pork Patties
- Mix ground pork with the rest of the ingredients and leave to marinate in room temperature or fridge for the same amount of time as the sliced pork.
- To make the minced pork into patties, first shape the ground pork mixture into round balls of approximately 5cm diameter and flatten patties to 1cm in thickness.
- Use a grill rack or charcoal BBQ griller to cook the pork. If cooking in an oven, set oven to 200°C to broil until golden brown.
- Grill the patties and the sliced pork until both sides are golden brown, roughly 10 mins per side.
To Prep Sauce
- In a medium saucepan, combine all the ingredients above and cook over low heat until the broth is lukewarm (not boil).
To Prep Pickle
- Make enough pickling vinegar to immerse the sliced carrots and papaya. Let it sit at room temperature for at least 2 hrs.
- When meats are done, place in a covered medium sized sauce pan containing the dipping sauce. The juices of the meat will darken and meld with the fish sauce.
- Transfer to large serving bowl and serve with rice vermicelli topped with fresh herbs, lettuce, pickled carrot and papaya, and minced garlic.