- Combine marinade ingredients in a bowl.
- Mix well until the sugar has dissolved before adding in the beef and stirring to coat before covering and leaving to marinate in a refrigerator for a minimum of 30 mins or overnight.
- Bring to a boil the water in a clay or earthenware pot before adding in the salt and fish sauce.
- When the broth returns to the boil, add in the marinated beef, carrot, onion and spring onions.
- Cover the pot and let the ingredients cook for 10 mins. Occasionally open the pot to stir and remove the foam from soup.
- After 10 mins, add the noodles in to the pot to cook. After the noodles soften, add in the mushrooms and radish and continue to cook until the radish has cooked through.
- While still over the stove, crack an egg and put it in to the centre of the bubbling stew. Let simmer briefly before garnishing with the chrysanthemum greens, spring onions and the red chillies.
- Remove the pot from the heat and serve with a side of rice, kimchi and other side dishes.