- Mix grated coconut with salt until well combined. Spread onto a plate and steam for 10 mins. Set aside to cool completely.
Blue Butterfly Pea Flower Extract
- Combine blue butterfly pea flower powder with hot water. Set aside to cool.
- Press 4g of shaved palm sugar into a ball. Place these onto a plate and set aside.
- Fill a pot with 2L water, bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low. Add pandan leaf and allow to infuse.
- Mix together glutinous rice flour, tapioca flour, sugar, oil and 75ml blue butterfly blue pea flower extract in a large mixing bowl, and knead well to combine.
- Pinch out a golf ball-sized piece of dough and drop into the simmering water for 5 mins or until cooked through. Use a slotted spoon to remove the cooked dough and add it back into the rest of the dough and knead until smooth and pliable. If the dough is too sticky, add some more of either flours. If too dry, add droplets of blue extract as you knead.
- Roll out 8g balls of dough and place them on a tray lined with baking paper.
- Flatten the dough and place palm sugar in the middle, and then wrap with the dough and delicately shape it into a ball.
- Drop the onde onde into the simmering water. Continue until all the dough and palm sugar has been used. If the dough has slightly dried, knead it to a pliable texture.
- After the last onde onde is placed into the simmering water, leave them to boil for another 10 mins, and then turn off the heat. Allow the onde onde remain in the hot water for another 10 mins.
- Carefully remove onde onde from the water using a slotted spoon a few at a time, and place it gently on to the grated coconut and coat evenly.
- Allow to cool before serving.