- Grease a 20cm square or round cake pan and place in a steamer. Set over a large pan or wok filled with 5cm of water.
- In a saucepan, add caster sugar, water and pandan leaves. Bring to a boil and then strain and set aside to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine tapioca flour, rice flour, coconut milk and cooled pandan syrup, mixing well until smooth.
- Pour out 1L of batter into a medium-sized bowl. Add 4 tsp of the butterfly blue pea flower extract and mix well. Set aside remaining batter.
- Heat the steamer and pan over medium heat, and then pour 200ml of blue batter into the pan and steam for 8 mins. Add 200ml of white batter for the next layer and steam for another 8 minutes. Repeat the process, alternating between white and blue batter, stirring the batter before pouring the next layer.
- Finishing on a white layer, add another 1 tsp of blue butterfly pea flower extract to the remaining blue batter. Pour a final layer and steam for 8 mins.
- Leave Kuih Lapis to cool completely before turning out onto a plate.
- Grease a knife before slicing into the Kuih Lapis, and serve.