To Make Sushi Burger
- Rinse rice well then add rice and water to saucepan. Bring to boil then reduce heat to low. Simmer for 30-40 mins until all the water is completely absorbed.
- While the rice is cooking, add vinegar, sugar and salt to a small dish and microwave for 20-30 secs to dissolve completely. Set aside to cool.
- Transfer the cooked hot rice to a large non-metal shallow bowl, sprinkle vinegar mixture, slice and toss the rice gently with a spatula to mix and cool.
- Line small bowl with cling wrap. Place ⅓ to ½ cup cooled rice on plastic. Firm down, then cover with overhanging plastic.
- Place a second layer of cling wrap over the first rice layer, add ⅓ cup rice. Firm down, and cover with overhanging plastic. This makes one top and bottom bun. Repeat for the number of people you are serving. Place in fridge to cool and firm up.
To Make Matcha Salt
- Grind all ingredients coarsely in mortar and pestle. Set aside.
To Make Wasabi Aioli
- In small bowl mix ingredients together. Set aside.
To Make Nashi and Cabbage Salad
- In small bowl whisk together oils, sugar and vinegar. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In a larger bowl toss together red and green cabbage, nashi, carrot, spring onion and dressing. Set aside while making mushrooms. Drain before adding to burger.
- Once salad is made, unwrap top and bottom pieces of sushi buns. Place in oiled air fryer with outer sides facing up. Brush with sesame oil. Cook 180°C for 5 mins, turn over cook further 2 mins. Remove and set aside until ready to serve and make the Hiratake Katsu.
To Make Hiratake Katsu:
- Mix together all panko crumb ingredients in bowl.
- Mix together all mushroom batter ingredients in second bowl.
- Heat oil for deep frying in a medium saucepan.
- Dip one mushroom leaf into mushroom batter, then roll in panko mix, pressing firmly.
- Cook in hot oil until crispy and deep golden (approx 2 mins). Cook only 2-3 mushrooms at a time. Drain on paper towel.
To Assemble Burger
- Lay lettuce leaves on base of bun.
- Place 1-2 Katsu pieces on top, then a handful of drained Nashi and Cabbage Salad.
- Add Matcha Salt and Wasabi Aioli to taste. Top with bun lid.
- Garnish with toasted sesame seeds and spring onion curls.