To Prepare Chintan Broth
- Fill a deep stockpot with chopped old hen, chicken feet, pork trotter, carrots, onion, ginger and water. Boil on medium-high heat till boiling and turn to low fire and let it simmer.
- Remove any gunk on the surface of the soup with a fine mesh filter.
- Let the soup simmer for 4 hours.
To Prepare Dashi
- Place kombu in a saucepan and let it soak for an hour then bring it to a simmer slowly under low heat. When water starts to steam remove kombu.
- Let the water boil and toss in the bonito flakes. Turn off the heat and strain.
- Pour dashi into chicken broth.
To Prepare Pork Charshu
- Remove skin from pork belly. Roll from the thicker end into a roulade and tie with butcher’s twine.
- Place pork roulade into a stockpot and fill with cold water covering the pork. Bring it to a boil. Remove any gunk that floats up. Pour away the water and fill it with the new batch.
- Toss in kombu and shiitake mushrooms. When water starts to steam, remove kombu.
- Add in salt and sugar and let it simmer on low heat for 2 hours.
- Add in tamari, dark soy sauce, mirin and sake and continue to simmer for 2 hours.
- Remove and let it cool before chilling it in the refrigerator.
- Gently remove the twine and slice to about 5mm thick.
- To create the char surface, use a blow torch and burn the surface.
To Prepare Shio Tare
- In a saucepan, heat up sake, mirin, sugar, salt and Chintan broth and let it simmer on low heat for 15 mins.
- Switch off the fire and pour in rice vinegar and yuzu juice. Set aside.
To Prepare Aromatic Oil
- Place chicken fats, pork fat, cooking oil, anchovies and spring onions in a small saucepan and simmer for 25 mins on low heat.
- Strain the solids away and pour in the yuzu juice. Set aside.
To Assemble Yuzu Shio Pork Ramen
- Cook ramen as per instruction on the packaging.
- In the serving bowl, place 2tbsp of shio tare and 1 tsp of aromatic oil. Add in 480ml of hot Chintan broth. Add in ramen.
- Garnish ramen with chicken charshu, ajisuke and spring onions, bamboo shoots and nori.