Preparing soy sauce glaze
- Add all soy sauce glaze ingredients into a small pot. Cook the mixture over low heat and stir continuously until the sauce thickens. Be careful not to burn the glaze. Set aside.
Preparing the paw mixture
- Mix black glutinous rice flour and rice flour together. Add a few drops of water and stir. Add more water until the mixture comes together.
Preparing the dumplings
- Place glutinous rice flour, rice flour and sugar into a bowl and mix. Add water a little at a time and knead the dough until it becomes smooth. If it becomes too watery, add more flour.
- Divide the dough into equal sized balls. Shape one ball into a long log and cut into small pieces (for the eyebrows). Shape the remaining balls into dog heads and flattened round balls (for the paws). Using the glutinous black rice mixture, shape the dough into paws and attach them onto the flattened round balls with a little bit of water.
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Add the dumplings into the water. When they float to the top, let them continue to cook for 2-3 mins. Scoop up and place on a plate lined with kitchen paper.
- Skewer the dumplings with bamboo sticks. Using scissors, cut out the dog’s mouths and noses using the nori sheet. Brush the dumplings with the soy sauce glaze. Using a toothpick, add the black sesame seeds as eyes and the cut-out nori sheet noses and mouths onto the dumplings.