- Place mussels in a bowl filled with water. Leave them for 20-30 mins to let them open up and spit out any dirt or mud. Scrub the shells with a brush of any dirt and set aside.
- Heat up a heavy bottom pot over medium heat and sauté garlic and red onion for 2-3 mins until onions are soft and slightly translucent.
- Add in lemongrass and bird chillies and fry for 30 secs.
- Pour in chicken stock. Toss in galangal, kaffir lime leaves and fish sauce. Bring it to a boil.
- Gently add in the mussels and fry for a min. Cover for 2 mins. Stir in the cut chillies and turn mussels around to make sure all are opened up.
- Continue to cook until all mussels have opened up. Add in lime juice.
- Switch off fire and toss in Thai basil leaves and cook with residual heat.
- Sprinkle chopped cilantro in before serving.