- Rinse the hulled mung beans and soak them in hot water for 60 mins. Then, steam them for 30 mins.
- Allow the steamed mung beans to cool down for a while before blending with 400ml of coconut milk.
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Break 6 eggs into a mixing bowl. Add the palm sugar, salt, and pandan leaves. Mix to dissolve the palm sugar.
- Add the blended mung beans mixture into the mixing bowl and add 400g of coconut milk. Mix well.
- Heat the pan with low heat and add the cooking oil. Add the sliced shallots and pan fry them. Reserve the fried shallots and oil.
- Apply some of the reserved fried shallot oil onto the baking tray to prevent the custard from sticking to the tray. Preheat the baking tray for 5 mins.
- Filter the prepared mung beans mixture using sieve or strainer and transfer the filtered mixture to the baking tray. Bake for 105 mins, or until completely set.
- Allow to cool completely before carefully removing from tray. Apply some more fried shallot oil on the surface, then bake for 10 more minutes.
- Leave the mung bean custard to cool down and sprinkle the fried shallots on the surface. Cut the mung bean custard into small square pieces and place them on the serving plate.