- Place sugar, palm sugar, knotted pandan leaves and water in a pot and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Remove pandan leaves, strain and set aside to cool.
- Combine grated white coconut, palm sugar flavoured grated coconut and salt in a shallow bowl. Set aside.
- Cut hardened nian gao into thin slices and place on a large, heat-proof plate lined with oiled banana leaf.
- Prepare steamer and bring water to boil. Place the plate of sliced nian gao into the steamer. Cover with lid and steam on medium heat for 10 mins.
- Remove the soft and melted nian gao from steamer. Using two teaspoons, roll the nian gao piece by piece in the coconut mixture while shaping it to form a ball. To evenly coat the nian gao.
- Place the coconut coated nian gao into the prepared casing and serve warm.