To Make Salted Egg Yolk Custard Filling
- In a large mixing bowl mix salted duck eggs and sugar and beat with an electric mixer till smooth.
- Add in all the other ingredients and beat till everything is well combined.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Scoop up about 25-30g onto a cling wrap and shape into a round ball. Keep chilled.
To Make the Dough (Using a Breadmaker)
- Add all ingredients except the dry active yeast into the bread machine bowl. Add yeast last.
- Set bread machine to dough mode.
To Make the Dough (Without Breadmaker)
- Mix all ingredients together to form into a smooth dough about 20 mins. Let it proof for an hour or till it rises double in size.
To Shape the Custard Baos
- Once the dough is ready, remove it from the bread bowl and divide the dough into 10 portions. Roll dough into balls and cover with a damp towel as you work.
- With a rolling pin, roll each dough ball into 1cm thickness but thinner on the edge before filling with a salted egg yolk custard ball. Holding the dough on your palm, start to pleat the edges of the dough together to seal the salted egg custard ball in.
- Place completed bao onto baking paper squares,
- Arrange completed bao into a bamboo steamer with adequate space around.
- Steam bao on medium heat for 12-15 mins. Do not steam on high heat as it will cause the custard to erupt. Remove from steamer and serve immediately.