- Separate 12 large prawns, peel them but keep the tails attached. Put all peeled shells and heads into a large bowl. Then devein all 12 prawns, put into another small bowl and keep them in the fridge.
- Peel and take all the tails off from the remaining prawns and put all shells and heads in the same bowl as the first lot. Then devein all prawns and put them in the bowl.
- Transfer all clean prawns from step two into a mortar then pound it with pestle into a rough paste. Scoop the prawn paste into the bowl and keep them in the fridge.
To Make the Stock
- Bring 6 cups of water to the boil and add all prawn shells and heads, then add the red shallots, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves and galangal. Let the water boil and simmer gently for about 10-12 mins.
- Pour all of prawn stock into a colander with another pot under them. Use a big soup ladle to press all prawn shells and heads until all liquid gets into the pot.
- Put the prawn tom yum stock back to the gas top and turn the gas on high heat.
- Add all the seasoning ingredients into the stockpot and mix all ingredients until combined and adjust the flavour to suit your liking. Let the stock boil and turn the gas off.
To Make the Wontons
- Separate the wonton skin and put the prawn paste, about 1 full teaspoon, into one wonton skin each time. Then moisten the rim of wonton skin with a little bit of water and fold the skin in half to join and close the rim together. You can make any shape and design you like.
- Put the complete wonton filling onto a plate and continue doing until the filling is finished.
- When it’s time to serve, turn the gas on for tom yum stock pot and keep it simmering while waiting to cook wonton.
- Put 2L of water into another large pot and put on the gas and let it boil.
- Cook all prawns with the tails on in the boiling water for about 40-60 secs, then take the prawns out and put them onto a plate.
- Let the water boil again then cook wonton by putting one wonton at a time to prevent them from sticking together.
- Cook 6-8 wontons each time. Wait until wontons float to the surface then scoop them out and into individual bowls (6 wontons per serve).
- Repeat the wonton cooking process until the wonton wrap is finished.
- Increase the heat on the tom yum soup pot and let it boil, then add all mushrooms into the pot.
- Pour hot tom yum soup and cooked mushrooms into individual bowls and top up with 2 cooked prawns per bowl and garnish before serving.
- Add chilli powder as desired and enjoy prawn wonton tom yum soup.