- Bring 4 cups of water to the boil, blanch Hokkien noodles, vermicelli and bean shoots. Drain; distribute among 4 bowls.
- Meanwhile, combine stock ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 45 mins. Strain through a sieve; keep warm in a saucepan until needed.
- Bring stock back to the boil, add pork slices and prawns; simmer for 2 mins.
- Add fish cake slices (optional) and water spinach, boiled for 1 min.
- Ladle soup into serving bowls; use tongs to distribute pork, prawns, fish cakes and water spinach.
- Top with fried shallots and egg.
- Serve with sambal oeleck and soy sauce as condiments.