- Clean and dry the chicken. Coat the inside of chicken with half a tsp of five spice powder.
- Combine the marinade ingredients except for the honey and pour in to a zip lock bag along with the chicken.
- Ensure that the marinade evenly coats the chicken before letting it marinade for at least 4 hrs.
- Once the marinading period is over, remove the chicken from the bag; discarding the slices of ginger, but retaining the marinade.
- Heat an oven to 170°C. Once it has heated up, set up a baking tray with a grilling rack and place the chicken on top of it.
- Every 20 mins, baste the chicken with oil to stop the skin from drying out.
- While the chicken continues to cook, pour the leftover marinade into the pan and add the honey. Over a low heat, cook the sauce until it has fully heated through.
- After the chicken has been in the oven for 1 hr, swap from basting with oil to basting with the marinade. Continue to marinade the chicken every 10-15 mins for 1 hr or until chicken is cooked.
- Once the chicken has been cooked through, remove it from the oven and allow to rest for 15 mins before serving with rice and vegetables.