- Knead the rice flour while adding warm. The more you knead the dough, the chewier the dango will turn out to be.
- Prepare and heat a bamboo steamer.
- Tear dough into several pieces, and place in steamer to steam on high for 20 mins until the dough centers are warm. Remove from steamer and allow to cool until temperature of dough is cool enough to handle.
- Combine the pieces and knead until dough is springy and glossy. If the dough gets hard, add some water while kneading.
- Divide the dough and roll into balls of 3-4cm in diameter.
- Line a bamboo steamer with parchment paper to avoid the dango from sticking to the base of the steamer. Steam on high for 15 mins. Remove dango from heat, and set aside to cool. They will become glossy when cool.
- To serve, arrange and stack dango to form a pyramid – as offering to the moon.