- Discard seeds and pith of the Kabocha, leaving the skin on. Slice into 10 thin pieces, about 6mm in thickness. Set aside.
- Sift plain flour and add potato starch in a small mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, add ice-cold water and egg, whisk vigorously. Slowly pour egg mixture into the flour, mix the batter for about a minute with chopsticks in a ‘figure 8’ motion. Don’t overmix the batter, leave a few lumps in the mixture.
- In a deep pan, heat oil over high heat to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Dip kabocha slices into the tempura batter one at a time, letting it cook for approximately 2 mins or until batter is light golden brown and kabocha is tender. Avoid deep frying more than 3-4 pieces of kabocha in the pot at any time.
- Serve immediately with tempura dipping sauce.