- Combine the marinade ingredients and set aside.
- Combine the water, Shaoxing wine, sliced ginger, soy sauce, star anise, sugar and the cinnamon in to a large saucepan and bring to a simmer before adding the lamb ribs.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook the lamb until the meat is starting to become tender. Roughly 90 mins.
- Remove the ribs, drain and place in a fridge for 180 mins to become firm.
- Add the firmed lamb to the marinade and coat well. Return to the fridge to marinate for another 60 mins.
- In a large wok, heat 5 tbsp of oil and transfer the marinated lamb to the wok to cook.
- Cook the lamb in batches to ensure they are evenly cooked. After frying the ribs, remove them from the wok to drain off the excess oil.
- Once the lamb has been cooked, fry the finely chopped ginger, chillies, garlic, spring onions and Sichuan peppercorns until fragrant before returning the lamb back in to the wok to finish.
- Coat the lamb with the mixture and then transfer to a plate to serve.