To Make Tangzhong
- Mix flour and milk evenly until all lumps are well combined. Cook over medium-low heat and stirring consistently to avoid burning and sticking.
- Remove from heat when the mixture thickens to a stage where lines are visible when stirring.
- Transfer mixture to a clean bowl and cover the surface of the mixture with cling wrap. Let cool to room temperature.
To Make Bread
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C.
- In a bread maker, add the milk, cream, egg and tangzhong.
- Add the salt, sugar and milk powder, then the bread flour, making a well, and add the yeast to the well. Choose the “dough” mode of your machine.
- Pour in melted butter when all ingredients are combined. Allow the dough to knead until smooth and elastic, about 30 mins of kneading in total. Rest the dough for 40 mins until double in size.
- Remove dough to a clean surface and deflate. Divide the dough into 3 equal portions and cover with cling wrap. Rest for 15 mins at room temperature.
- Using a rolling pin, roll each portion into an oval. Fold ⅓ from the longer edge to the middle and press, then fold ⅓ from the other long edge to the middle and press.
- Flip over to make the seal face down. Then with the rolling pin, roll along the length to stretch the dough to about 30cm. Then flip over again to make the seal face up, roll the dough with hand from the shorter edge into a Swiss roll form.
- With the seals facing down, put the doughs into a loaf tin and allow to proof in warm temperature until double in size.
- Use whisked egg to apply egg wash on the surface. Bake for 30-35 mins until the surface is brown. Remove and transfer to a wire rack. Let cool.