To Make the Broth
- Dry-fry the anchovies until dried, placed into a stock pouch.
- Heat the water in a stock pot over medium-high heat. Add the soybeans and anchovies soup pouch and bring to boil for 30 mins or more. Add in the salt and sugar last.
- Combine the stuffing ingredients, mix well and set aside.
- Puffed tofu – Make a slit at the center of the puffed tofu with scissors.
- Firm tofu – Scoop out a hole at the center of the tofu.
- Chillies and okras – Make a slit from the top, stop at 2-3 cm from the end. Remove the seeds.
- Eggplants – Slice in from the side to about ¾ of the way, allow the eggplant to open up like a shell.
- Bitter melons – Remove the core and seeds.
- With a spoon or butter knife, add the stuffing into the vegetables and spread them out to avoid falling out as they will shrink when cooked.
- In a frying pan, heat oil over medium-low heat. Pan-fry the stuffed firm tofu, meat facing down first, until browned on all sides and place them into the soup.
- Pan-fry the remaining stuffed vegetables and puffed tofu covered until all sides are browned and meat are cooked.
- Serve the stuffed vegetables and tofu with the soup.